Billingshurst Bowling Club
On Saturday 21st April at 2.00pm BILLINGSHURST BOWLING CLUB opens for the 2018 season. Come along then or have a try on one of our open evenings - last Friday in April plus all Tuesdays & Fridays in May from 6.00 - 7.30pm, thereafter Fridays until end of season - mid September. Other days/times by arrangement.
We are situated behind “Station Road Gardens” - access through Leisure Centre Car Park, then via south end of swimming pool - look for our sign and the doorbell.
New members welcome, experience not necessary. All equipment supplied. For further information contact Barry (Captain) tel 07858-407537, Alan (Vice-captain) tel (01798) 875737 or Keith (Chairman) tel (01403) 784599 - or see our website at the following address:-
ABOUT THE CLUB
Club was formed in 1932 at its present location, just off Station Road beyond the old cricket
field. The site was originally leased from Miss Puttock for a peppercorn rent
of one shilling (5p) per annum.
The Club was formed by a
group of mainly local tradesmen and long-time residents may be familiar with
some of their names:
Higgins, Ironmonger (now Austens)
Crisp, Hairdresser & Tobacconist
C.E. Wadey, Builder
Watt, Corn & Seed Merchant
Dr. Puttock was Chairman
of the Committee in the early years. The green had only three rinks and the
grass was cut with a hand mower. Obtaining the services of a groundsman always
proved difficult, the pay being rather low at sixpence per hour.
The Pavilion was very
basic with no sanitation, just a wood and corrugated sheet metal affair with a
bucket. A rota was drawn up for fortnightly cleaning! Fences were necessary to
keep out Miss Puttock’s cattle from the adjoining pastures - pastures which now
form part of the Weald
School playing fields.
Matches were arranged
with three or four local clubs and Graffham, Midhurst and Handcross are amongst
our oldest adversaries. During the Second World War the club was effectively
dormant with the sire being used by the local A.T.C. and Red Cross for
training. Part of the green also served as a tennis court.
Since the 1950’s many
changes and improvements have been made. The green was extended to six rinks
and the arrival of mains water and electricity was of huge benefit. The
original clubhouse was extended to incorporate changing rooms, a kitchen,
lounge area and flush toilets. Improvements have continues up to the present
A second pavilion has
been erected to provide comfortable accommodation to enjoy tea and supper
refreshments after matches. The latter building was converted from a large
porta-cabin which had previously served as a parish room at Clymping church.
Club members re-clad the exterior with a wooden façade and fitted a pitched
roof to complement the old clubhouse. The new building was named “The Stocker
Pavilion” in honour of Jack Stocker, our skilled carpenter who masterminded the
An automated watering
system has been installed, a far cry from loaning a standpipe and a long hose
from the cricket club! In celebration of the Millennium a new toilet block was
built that included facilities for the disabled.
Nowadays the Club plays
friendly mixed matches against many clubs in West Sussex and Surrey.
Matches are played on weekdays and at weekends, both afternoons and evenings.
In addition there is a full range of Club competitions and friendly sessions.
Ladies and Gentlemen play together and everyone is encouraged to join in. All
abilities are catered for from beginner up to County standard. Newcomers are
amazed at how quickly they pick up the game, although it is not quite as easy
as it appears on television.
Further information may
be obtained by contacting the Club Secretary, Beryl Barraclough, on 01403
784599 or by clicking the link below:-
Billingshurst Bowling Club
MEMBERS OF BILLINGSHURST PARISH COUNCIL &
BILLINGSHURST BOWLING CLUB